Peg Report 27: Number of Winnipeggers participating in arts and cultural events continues to grow
Submitted by Barb on Tue, 09/27/2016 - 16:05
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is a free, all-night exploration of contemporary art that takes place Saturday, October 1st, 2016. To celebrate, we took a look at new data from Peg, Winnipeg's community indicator system, on Participation in the Arts. What did the data tell us?
Peg tells us…
- Between 2007 and 2015, the number of participants in arts & cultural events in Winnipeg increased by 61% - an increase of 1,141,000 people!
- In 2015, there were just under 3 million visits to arts & cultural events in the city.
Why does this matter?
- The arts are a critical element of any community's social vitality. The arts help define our identity, they attract tourists and residents, and give life to the community.
- The arts contribute significantly to the economy. Canadian exports of cultural products were valued at almost $1.3 billion in 2010 (Statistics Canada 2012).
- Figures are based on self-reported statistics from organizations that applied for funding to the Winnipeg Arts Council each year.
- These figures do not include museums.
- More detail and source data for the above facts available at http://www.mypeg.ca/explorer/WellBeing/SocialVitality/Arts/
Source of the data:
- Peg’s data for the Participation in Arts indicator is provided by the Winnipeg Arts Council.
For interviews on Peg, the data, or to be connected with organizations making a difference in the community, please contact:
Sumeep Bath, Media and Communications Officer
International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
(204) 958-7700 ex 740 | email@example.com